Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Educational Goals


So with my current change of major came a change of career plans. My new dream is to become either a Physician or a Physician's Assistant. Here is the problem: the current administration has cut a lot of federal funding for college education. If they remain in office, I won't be able to afford to become a doctor. The expense of medical school is so high that if I can't bill commensurate with the education required to become a doctor, there is no way that I will have the funds to repay the student loans I will acquire.

The obvious devaluation of being educated in America is startling. Bureaucrats yammer on about how we need to become competitive with other nations, and how our education system is awesome, all the while not paying our teachers an adequate wage and now making it harder for doctors to make the money they earn. The only way to really change our economy is to educate our people, make them more competitive with the nations that so many jobs are outsourced to. And pay teachers a wage that honors the hours of work and amount of debt they incur in their educational pursuits. Who do you think teaches our future lawyers, doctors, politicians, engineers... It isn't their mammas. Mamma doesn't teach every college level course, nor does she teach all other classes. (The exception being those who home-school their children. And props to those moms!)

I was discussing this topic with a few friends who worked in Asia, post-grad. They each earned in one year of teaching in Asia enough money to pay off their entire undergraduate education's student loans. That is including their room and board, and local trips, and extras, and pocket money, and savings. Teachers in other nations really make bank! What happened to the ole US of A? And in my case, becoming a medical provider... I have a few friends who are medical providers, who left their home nations to practice in the States. The money was better, and their loans could actually be paid off. I am all for affordable medical care. Just if you are going to do that, make medical school "affordable" too.


This is just my world right now. If there is a reelection, I'm going to have to scrap my medical school plans and look for a job instead. That is the reality for this college student. Pell Grant usage was limited starting Fall 2011. That means that a student is no longer able to use a Pell Grant to pay for classes during their "off" semester. Only two semesters are eligible, after that it is a big question mark and shoulder shrug. It is up to the student to figure out how to pay for that extra class he or she wants to take. Or in my case, that extra 4 classes. So, Thank You, President Obama! You really helped me soooo much! Way to protect federal education money!

(I didn't think I would ever rant even slightly politically. But when I was really thinking about the long term financial issues that will emerge, I got angry. I don't have some unknown benefactor paying for my schooling. There is no magic medical school fairy who will pop up and grant my funding wishes. It is very scary, to think that I may have to abandon my hopes and dreams.)

The weather is a bit bleak today. I hope the sun can peek out of the thick clouds... I so need those warming rays.

Please comment and share this post.

Thank you,

The Tallgurrl

No comments: