Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Year-end Wrap-up (and many other hyphened words)






So to start... Or maybe its to finish: 2009 was a pretty good year. Lots of random dating. I met a few guys, dated them, and added yet another crop of men to my ever increasing collection of male friends. I was talking with one of them who had the exact opposite situation. Most of his friends are women. What does that say about us?

I tried a few new things. Went to my first-ever New England-style clambake. (I also decided that day that the best way to have clams is cooked over hot coals on a beach.) Another new thing, started to learn Argentine tango... It is kinda difficult to dance with a partner who is shorter than you, but I'm managing to learn. It looks so beautiful when experienced dancers are going at it... Somehow I'm making it look painful. I guess that is the learning process, though. I think the favorite new thing I did this year is taking a Zumba class. For the uninitiated, Zumba is a cardio class that incorporates the dance stylings of Latin dances, as well at hip-hop, and whatever else the instructor chooses to use for choreography. My best friend, in addition to being my partner in crime for all things involving revelry, is also a certified Zumba instructor. She started teaching classes for my Relief Society, and I just loved it. The work-out is more intense than sprinting for 3 miles, and more work than a day of skiing. It is a lot of fun, and the music is such that it makes you want to move.

I know that in past years I have scoffed at making resolutions. Instead saying I make revolutions. (Yes I have a bunch of guerrillas wandering with guns that make sure my goals are accomplished and demands met.) I'm making a resolution for 2010. In 2009, I both sprained and broke my foot. There was a several month space between each injury, but the result was the same... My exercise regime was stalled. Now I am not a fat woman, but I think I could gain to lose a few pounds and tone here and there. A trainer friend once told me I would never be a Kate Moss, but I have the potential to be a tall Scarlett Johanssen. With that in mind, my resolution-revolution is to gain more physical fitness for 2010. I would like to run a half-marathon some time during the year, and I really want to train for a tri. I have already found a few programs to aid me in my pursuits. Mostly I am concerned with stamina, but the distance running goals will have great spill-over into strength as well. I think I'll be able to do the leg presses I did when I played sports in high school, in the end.

Speaking of school... The year 2010 is the year I get myself back into college. Yes, people you read correct. I am re-enrolling, hopefully at BYU-Idaho. The plan is for me to finally finish my Social Work degree, and get to stepping on doing grad school. In a perfect world, I would be able to double major in social work and nursing, but I think that dream may not come to fruition. I'll just be a phlebotomy doing, salsa dancing, social worker/counselor. My biggest challenge is in writing all of the essays. For me, writing anything is very difficult. I definitely have the intelligence, and the vocabulary. But translating the verbal, vocal-ness into something written is akin to having a first year resident perform open-heart surgery. Not impossible, but very difficult, and a little scary. I am blessed with an amazing sister, though. She promised to take a look at my attempts and give me some notes. I'm hoping my writing skills haven't diminished too much from under-usage.


So to sum up: 2009 was a pretty good year. 2010 has a lot of potential and promise. I have a lot of work to do. My family and friends are the greatest. Faith and hope get me through the tough times.

The snow makes a blanket of white, and for interesting driving. Give yourself extra time, both to clean off your car and to arrive safely.

Please give your input and share.

Thanks,

The Tallgurrl

No comments: