Sunday, January 29, 2012

Stupid Things That Come Out of My Mouth

Today I participated in teasing one of the nicest, sweetest girls I've ever met. I didn't mean to, but we hurt her feelings... A lot. Somehow this ribbing, which I have always attested to being "sisterly", got a little out of control. Now, I need to find a way to return the kind thoughts my roommate has towards me, and keep from putting my foot into it.

The whole situation has really made me think about how I treat other people, and what many would find offensive. Perhaps I am too teasing, and need to change how I show affection. I would never intentionally hurt another person. As the recipient of much bullying as a child, I find the practice abhorrent, and will defend those who are treated so to my dying breath. Somehow I was the bully this time, though. I need to figure out how to make it right. Because, this is a very uncomfortable situation to be in. Especially since the person who was hurt shares a bedroom with me.

I'm not sure what to do, though. As I said, I was the recipient of much bullying as a child/teen. Back then, I would bottle up my hurt and pain. The bullies who hurt me never really sought restitution or to make up for their ill treatment of me. In their minds, I imagine, I was just an oversensitive "weak" person, who was an easy target for their fun. Either that, or it just didn't occur to them that making me into a pariah, and taunting me that should I just commit suicide-it would be better for everyone, would hurt me.

I have moved on from that time. In fact, I hadn't thought of it for decades. This incident just made me remember how it felt, and I don't want to be that person who doesn't care. I don't know where my former bullies are these days. But I do not wish them ill. Their actions made me who I am today. Though I do take a small pleasure knowing that at least one of them is living with karma.
Meanwhile, it is up to me to figure out what I need to do to rectify this situation. Wish me luck.

The sky is green, right now... I'm going to have to rush to avoid the coming twister.

Please comment and share this post.

Thank you,

The Tallgurrl

No comments: