Sunday, October 20, 2013

Happy Dreams and Feel Good Movies

Today was Sunday, and I happen to live with some very sweet, very insistent women. It is a day for church worship, spiritual music, and feel good movies. Church was interesting today. The women's auxiliary lesson was entirely conducted as a favorite hymn sing along, and testimony share. That was actually really good for me. I am one of those peculiar people who is able to feel deeply what the music is saying. Not only do the lyrics touch my soul, but the blend of melody and harmony make my spirit soar. This meeting so moved me that I was weeping in a few parts, and was unable to participate in the singing part for a few songs.

I deeply believe that music can affect the mood and spirit one feels. When watching a scary movie, ominous music tells you when to be terrified (usually before an insane killer comes out to harm the protagonist). When the sweet, sweeping slow music swells, you know that the guy is going to confess his undying love, and kiss the girl. The same can be said for music in a religious aspect. I recognize that many Christian rock songs have a great message, and teach good principles. In fact, I have a fairly good supply of these musicians albums and always seek more. The thing is, I have great difficulty inviting the Holy Spirit to the sounds of drums and electric guitars. I feel that hymns of praise are a bit more appropriate for there. Today was a hymn day, and I felt the Holy Spirit so greatly, testifying to me that Jesus Christ loves me, and died for me. It reminded me that God loves me, and wants the best things for me... And that when I struggle, He will give me the extra strength in my weakness.

Tonight, in the pursuit of maintaining this spiritual high, my roommates and I were looking for a movie to watch. We narrowed it down to 3 great choices: Big Miracle, Soul Surfer, and Dolphin Tale. They each were in the realm of great messages, and were going to keep us in a mode of worship and gratitude, and love for our fellow humans (though 2 of the films are about animals). We decided on Big Miracle, and it was just what I needed. It reminded me that sometimes people put aside their own agendas, and do the right thing, just because it is right. I felt joy to be sharing it with them, especially since one of them had never seen the film. I'm just really grateful that there are filmmakers who create movies that teach good values and that love really is a universal connection. So in the spirit of how I'm feeling tonight, I would invite everyone to be a little bit kinder to each other. Give a little bit more love. Forgive a little bit easier. And remember to love and forgive yourself!!! May you see happy dreams.

Tonight's sky is clear, with a few stars and a moon just over the horizon. The cold, dry Rexburg air is giving a hint of the winter weather that is forthcoming. But for now, it is definitely autumn.

Please feel free to comment and share this post. I would love your feedback.

Thank you,

The Tallgurrl

No comments: